All too often prospective clients will call or email and say “I want you to help me set up a Facebook and Twitter page because all my competitors and customers have one”.
That’s not a problem, the problem lies in the fact that many of these individuals have not updated their website in years or in some cases, don’t even have one.
Website vs Social Media
We have spoken with many companies and individuals that feel their website or lack of, is not of great concern because social media is the way to go. They could not be any more wrong and it’s not their fault, because in today’s business world all they hear is Facebook this and Twitter that and you’ve got to be on Pinterest, Instagram and LinkedIn.
The fact is you can’t forget or ignore the greatest tool you have for getting out information about your products and/or services, who you are and what you have to offer.
Think back 40 years ago or longer. If you were a retailer and had an annual catalog. You generally had signs announcing when your new, bigger and better catalog was being released. Depending on the company and the advertising budget you had you might do a radio AD or TV commercial. People could hardly wait for that new Sears Catalog.
In today’s business, your website is that catalog and Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram are your signs, AD’s and commercials. They are your teasers and serve to be the extension of your website.
You cannot let social media be the only thing that speaks to existing and potential clients. If you rely on those as your only point of connection or in some case only means of promoting and growing your business, you’re missing the boat.
Here are 10 Simple Tips to Keep Visitors Coming Back to Your Website
- Update your content regularly, at least once a week and be consistent.
- Solicit viewer engagement through a Blog section.
- Respond in a timely manner on Blog comments.
- Keep your navigation simple.
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly.
- Use relevant pictures throughout your website. A website or blog post that is nothing but text is very boring.
- Display short video clips where possible to demonstrate how your products are used.
- Make sure your website can be viewed in all commonly used web browsers.
- If your website contains several pages add a “Search” feature.
- Make sure you select a font that is easy to read and keep the number of font types to no more than 2.
Share with us how often do you update your website or blog?